It's not always easy to prepare fresh, healthy meals from scratch, especially when you're rushed and don't have time to get down to the supermarket to buy all the ingredients. But by purchasing easily storable items in advance you'll be able to save time and money and always have a selection of nutritious foods on hand.
Here's a list of staples to keep in your kitchen at all times. If you have most of these, you'll always be able to prepare a healthy meal...no fridge required!
Ten Things to Keep in Your Freezer
1. Make-ahead meals – divide into portions
2. Leftovers – also in portions
3. Homemade stock
4. Frozen veg (and fresh veg you want to save)
5. Frozen fruit – berries freeze very well
6. Bread – all kinds: tortillas, rolls, pitta, homemade pizza bases etc
7. All kinds of meat, well wrapped
8. Fish/all types of seafood
9. Homemade ice cream/sorbet
10. Ice cube trays of chopped fresh herbs or spices preserved in oil
Ten Things to Keep in Your Cupboards
1. Oils – extra virgin olive, coconut, rapeseed2. A range of herbs, spices, black & white pepper
3. Nuts and seeds
4. Pasta – different types such as penne, spaghetti, tagliatelle etc
5. Brown rice
6. Grains and pulses – quinoa, lentils, buckwheat, bulgar wheat, polenta
7. Tinned fruit (great for baking crumbles etc)
8. Tinned vegetables
9. Tinned beans (different kinds), chickpeas, lentils
10. Jarred/bottled condiments and sauces
As well as food, it pays to invest in a few healthy cookbooks with recipes you can customise according to your mood.
What are your kitchen essentials? Let me know in the comments!
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter